6 Tips on Biking in the City
Bicycling in an unfamiliar city can be daunting. But that should not stop you to venture out on bike rides to explore more if its sights. Here are some tips on how to make your city biking adventures more fun and safe.
1. Bike smart. Know the city’s cycling laws. Read handbooks or information guides so you will know the do’s and dont’s. This will save you the trouble of dealing with mishaps that could happen if you go on a bike ride without knowing the local rules.
2. Keep your eyes and mind on the ride. Be mindful of your surroundings. Always err on the side of caution by assuming that vehicle drivers may not see you. So always pay attention to what is going on around you so you can react quickly, if needed.
3. Keep safe. Using a designated bike path or lane may keep you safer. But that does not mean you should stop thinking about safety as you cruise along. Keep safety in mind by taking the necessary precautions even if you are on a safe bike lane.
4. Tune in to the sounds around you. Wearing headphones or listening to music while on a bike ride may seem more fun. But it could drown out the sounds of traffic and other vehicles’ signals. For your safety, make sure that you can tune in to the sounds around you when you go on a bike ride.
5. Make sure that your bike is equipped with safety gear and repair kit. Before going on a ride, check if the bicycle you are using is equipped with lights and other essentials like a basic repair kit.
6. Keep it locked. Avoid risking having your ride stolen. Make sure to lock it up properly if you have to leave it for a while anywhere at any time.